Lighting the Way: A National Forum on Archival Discovery and Delivery

Monday, February 10 to Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Stanford University, Stanford, California

Call for participation opens November 13, 2019

We describe what people and systems do to find, access, and use material from archives and special collections as archival discovery and delivery. The “front-end” systems involved in this work include those supporting search and presentation of archival description, delivery and presentation of digital objects, request management systems, and interpretation and crowdsourcing. A major challenge in this area is determining how to effectively integrate those systems to work together as a coordinated whole, to support the needs of users and library and archives workers. We seek  to get an in-depth understanding of how these systems can and should work together to support archival discovery and delivery, and to develop a forward-looking agenda describing an ethical, equitable, sustainable, and well-integrated future for access and use of archives and special collections.

In support of this work, Stanford University Libraries is facilitating and hosting Lighting the Way: A National Forum on Archival Discovery and Delivery, a national meeting for archives, library, and technology workers to discuss these issues and work towards a common agenda. The forum event will take place on the campus of Stanford University in Stanford, California from February 10-12, 2020, with approximately 50 participants. Grant funds will allow us to fund travel costs, meals during the event, and lodging for the majority of participants. Participants will be selected through an open application process, which will open on November 13, 2019. The application includes questions on the context for your work in relation to the goals of the forum and project.

Our goals for the project include providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for participation and collaboration. We strongly encourage self-nominations from individuals who identify with or whose work serves underrepresented or marginalized populations.

If you have any questions or feedback about our project, please visit the project website at https://lightingtheway.stanford.edu/, contact the project team at [log in to unmask], or contact Mark A. Matienzo, the Project Director, at [log in to unmask]

This project was made possible in part by the Institute of Museum and Library Services, through grant LG-35-19-0012-19. The IMLS is the primary source of federal support for the nation’s libraries and museums. To learn more, visit www.imls.gov.

--

Mark A. MATIENZO |  [log in to unmask] |  +1 (650) 683-5769

Assistant Director for Digital Strategy and Access

Digital Library Systems and Services, Stanford University Libraries

https://library.stanford.edu/people/matienzo

My pronouns are they/them