*Lighting the Way: A National Forum on Archival Discovery and Delivery*

*Livestreamed presentations February 10, 2020 - 9:00 AM to 12:30 PM PST
(GMT-8)*

*Register for the livestream: http://bit.ly/ltwf-livestream
<http://bit.ly/ltwf-livestream> *

Lighting the Way: A National Forum on Archival Discovery and Delivery
<https://library.stanford.edu/projects/lightingtheway> kicks off with a
series of livestreamed presentations on archival discovery and delivery
on February 10, 2020 from 9:00 AM to 12:30 PM Pacific Standard Time (GMT-8).

We encourage you to register for the livestream
<https://stanford.zoom.us/webinar/register/vJAlf-6qrDgqvvGF5Xq4loOGAPQ8inPZTA>
in
advance so you can join in for what we hope will be an engaging set of
presentations on four key themes:

   - *The Evolving Systems Ecosystem:* What software and other systems do
   we use to make archival discovery and delivery possible, and how is that
   changing within institutional contexts?
   - *Networks and the Big Picture:* What issues are impacting archives and
   libraries at the level of the sector, consortia, or beyond, related to
   discovery and delivery?
   - *Ethical, Legal, and Cultural Concerns:* How have factors like
   privacy, cultural protocols, copyright, and others impacted our ability to
   address archival discovery and delivery, on a technical, operational, or
   strategic level?
   - *Impacts on Public Services and Outreach:* How does archival discovery
   and delivery fit within the front-line work of library and archives workers
   focused on reference, outreach, public service, and community needs?

For more information on the event, see agenda
<https://library.stanford.edu/projects/lightingtheway/forum-february-2020/agenda>
 and detailed list of presentations
<https://library.stanford.edu/projects/lightingtheway/forum-february-2020/presentations>.
Follow the event on Twitter using the hashtag *#LTWForum*.

*List of presenters*

   - Greg Cram, The New York Public Library
   - Tanis Franco, University of Toronto Scarborough
   - Sara Guzman, Himdag Ki - Tohono O’odham Nation Cultural Center & Museum
   - Mark A. Matienzo, Stanford University Libraries
   - Daisy Muralles, University of California, Santa Barbara
   - Lori Myers-Steele, Berea College
   - Kim Pham, University of Denver
   - Genevieve Preston, San Bernardino County Historical Archives:
   - Merrilee Proffitt, OCLC Research Library Partnership
   - T-Kay Sangwand, University of California, Los Angeles
   - Heather Smedberg, University of California, San Diego
   - Trevor Thornton, North Carolina State University
   - Anna Trammell, Pacific Lutheran University
   - Adrian Turner, California Digital Library
   - Camille Villa, Stanford University Libraries
   - Amanda Whitmire, Harold A. Miller Library, Hopkins Marine Station,
   Stanford University

*About the project*

Lighting the Way <https://lightingtheway.stanford.edu/> is a year-long
project, funded by IMLS, centered around convening a series of national
meetings on improving access and use of archives and special collections,
and should work together to support archival discovery and delivery. Our
goal is to develop an agenda describing an ethical, equitable, sustainable,
well-integrated future for access and use of archives and special
collections.

Archival discovery and delivery is how we describe what people and systems
do to support finding, accessing, and using material from archives and
special collections. Systems include software, workflows, paper forms,
standards, and more. We also often refer to software applications related
to this function specifically as “front-end systems,” which include those
supporting search and presentation of archival description, delivery and
presentation of digital objects, request management systems, and
interpretation and crowdsourcing. Part of the broader challenge is to
determine how to effectively integrate all of those systems to work
together as a coordinated whole, which serves as the fundamental area of
focus for our project.

*This project was made possible in part by the Institute of Museum and
Library Services, through grant LG-35-19-0012-19
<https://www.imls.gov/grants/awarded/lg-35-19-0012-19>. The IMLS is the
primary source of federal support for the nation’s libraries and museums.
To learn more, visit www.imls.gov <http://www.imls.gov/>.*

*View this announcement online:
https://library.stanford.edu/blogs/stanford-libraries-blog/2020/01/lighting-way-forum-presentations-be-livestreamed-february-10

--

*Mark A. MATIENZO *| *✉* [log in to unmask] | ☎ +1 (650) 683-5769

Assistant Director for Digital Strategy and Access

Digital Library Systems and Services, Stanford University Libraries

https://library.stanford.edu/people/matienzo

*My pronouns are they/them*