Elizabeth Leonard wrote:

> Let say your faculty have research files that they want to securely share with researchers at another academic institutions (say, on another continent). What are secure ways that they can do this?

Just yesterday I was thinking about just this thing, and my suggestion is the implementation of a local HTTP server. Fire it up. Create a directory. Save one or more files in the directory. Optionally apply some authentication to the directory. Share URL(s). Wait for files to be downloaded. Shutdown the server. Yes, the process requires some practice, and local networking policies may prohibit such things, but it costs zero dollars, does not require third parties, and one has total control over their own data. --Eric Morgan