January 16, 2020: The NISO Manuscript Exchange Common Approach (MECA)
working group <https://www.niso.org/standards-committees/meca> today
releases its draft Recommended Practice for an open protocol for the
transfer of manuscripts within and between manuscript systems. The
recommendations are available for public comment through February 16.

Developed to address the frustration felt by authors when their manuscript
is rejected and they have to repeat the submission process, as well as to
reduce the estimated 15 million hours currently wasted each year repeating
reviews, the MECA working group recommendations will improve the process
for all stakeholders. They cover the transfer of manuscripts and/or reviews
between submission systems, between preprint and submission systems, from
authoring systems to submission systems, and from submission systems to
services such as post acceptance processing systems.

The MECA working group has developed a common vocabulary and made specific
recommendations for transmitting, identifying, and packaging the content
being transferred. Once finalized, they will be published as a NISO
Recommended Practice, freely available for implementation by the community.

Welcoming the release of the draft recommendations, working group co-chair,
Tony Alves, Director of Product Management, Aries Systems, commented, “We
are happy to have worked with NISO to develop these guidelines which, when
implemented, will alleviate some significant pain points for researchers,
publishers, and service providers.”

The second co-chair, Stephen Laverick, Director, Green Fifteen Publishing
Consultancy, added,  “Everyone who plays a role in manuscript processing —
including those working with production systems, preprint servers, and
authoring services — is invited to comment on this draft NISO Recommended
Practice, so that we can ensure it meets the needs of our whole community.”

NISO's Associate Executive Director, Nettie Lagace, stated, "We are
grateful to Tony and Stephen for their leadership, and to everyone on the
working group for their help developing this NISO Recommended Practice,
which will improve the manuscript submission process for everyone involved.
We strongly encourage our community to share your feedback on these
recommendations, so that we can ensure they meet your requirements.”

The draft Recommended Practice is available at
https://www.niso.org/standards-committees/meca.

_____________________

*About NISO*

NISO, based in Baltimore, Maryland, fosters the development and maintenance
of standards that facilitate the creation, persistent management, and
effective interchange of information so that it can be trusted for use in
research and learning. To fulfill this mission, NISO engages libraries,
publishers, information aggregators, and other organizations that support
learning, research, and scholarship through the creation, organization,
management, and curation of knowledge. NISO works with intersecting
communities of interest and across the entire lifecycle of information
standards. NISO is a not-for-profit association accredited by the American
National Standards Institute (ANSI). For more information, visit the NISO
website (https://niso.org).