Depending on what level of control you have, you could potentially do
some DNS black magic: have a VPN that sent all client requests for
*.ebscohost.com to server.yourdomain.edu which then used httpd
redirects (or similar) to rewrite those to include the proxy prefix.
You'd need to include an appropriate  certificate in browser config if
you didn't want the HTTPS handshake to fail.

cheers
stuart