The ACM/IEEE Joint Conference on Digital Libraries (JCDL) is a major
international forum focusing on digital libraries and associated technical,
practical, and social issues. JCDL 2020 is hosted by the School of
Information Management at Wuhan University on June 19 - 23, 2020 in Wuhan,
China. JCDL 2020 invites submissions to a newly created Practitioners
Track, in addition to other submission types, e.g., papers (full and
short), posters & demonstrations, doctoral consortium, tutorials,
workshops, and panels.

Practitioners Track Proposals

The practitioners track emphasizes innovation, insight, and vision in the
practice of digital libraries. It provides opportunities for libraries,
archives, museums, publishers, and digital content industry partners to
showcase their latest novel, speculative, and even provocative ideas,
practices, case studies, technologies, productions, strategies, datasets,
and/or designs related to digital library practices and services. Topics
include but are not limited to

* practice of emergency planning and response for libraries, archives, and
museums
* digital repositories
* digital collections development and management
* metadata and discovery services
* open access and scholarly communication
* open educational resources
* teaching and learning support
* digital publishing
* big data and library cyberinfrastructure
* research data management, digital curation, and stewardship
* digital humanities
* digital preservation
* information service
* information/data literacy
* digital heritage/culture

Authors must label their submissions with at least one of the following
four streams. Submissions will be evaluated using criteria set forth in the
respective stream. There is no expectation that a submission must cover all
four streams.

1. “I have a dream”. Submissions to this stream should focus on the vision,
speculation, or prophetic prediction of trends on a) the future environment
and/or ecosystem for libraries, museums, archives, and related industry and
b) how do we adapt and flourish. Proposals will be mainly evaluated on
vision, novelty, and potential impact. We particularly encourage high-risk
high-reward ideas, as long as the risks are clearly articulated and
assessed.

2. “Told you so”. Submissions to this stream provide theoretical,
experimental, computational, synthetic, or empirical proof or myth rebuttal
related to popular and current digital library trends and practices.
Proposals are expected to be well-referenced and balanced, and also offer
nuance and clearly laid-out limitations. The evaluation will be focused on
the merits of the arguments, as well as their potential impacts on the
practices.

3. “We can do it”. Submission to this steam showcase exemplary projects,
products, or services that have already been launched. Proposals may be
further broken down into substreams such as a) “We did it first”, where
novelty and differentiation factors are highlighted; b) “We do it best”,
which focuses on the overall value gained by the patrons, communities, and
the society; or c) “We can do better”, which highlights critical
improvements. Proposals in this stream will be evaluated on the verifiable
benefits these projects bring.

4. “Together we’ll go far”. Submissions to this stream emphasize broad
collaborations, e.g., those beyond boundaries of departments, libraries,
institutions, academic disciplines, communities, regions, or even
countries. Authors should clearly articulate what, how, and why the
collaboration works and what values the collaboration brings to each
partner.

Proposals should consist of a title, extended abstract, and contact
information for the authors, and should not exceed 2 pages. As indicated in
the JCDL 2020 Call for Submissions, Practitioners Track submissions should
use the ACM Proceedings template (
http://www.acm.org/publications/proceedings-template) and are to be
submitted in electronic format via the conference’s EasyChair submission
page.

Accepted proposals will be presented at the conference in visual formats
including but are not limited to posters, videos, or system and production
demonstrations. At least one author of each accepted showcase is expected
to give a one-minute presentation.

All questions concerning showcases should be discussed with the showcase
co-chairs prior to the submission deadline of March 10, 2020. Notification
of acceptance for showcases is March 25, 2020. This year’s practitioners
track co-chairs are:

Zhiwu Xie, Virginia Tech Libraries, USA [log in to unmask]
Long Xiao, Peking University Library, China, China [log in to unmask]
Wei Liu, Shanghai Library, China [log in to unmask]

----------
As Wuhan has been seriously affected by the new-type coronavirus recently,
the Organizing Committee of JCDL 2020 are paying close attention to
relevant progress, and any notice will be released on the official website
of the conference ( http://2020.jcdl.org/ ).

Experts and scholars are invited to continue to submit in accordance with
the agenda of the conference (
http://2020.jcdl.org/ImportantDatesAndDeadlines.html ).

The Organizing Committee of JCDL 2020 are working with relevant parties to
identify viable options to accommodate possible pending status in June.
This could involve:
* allowing virutal attendance / presentation of papers
* not enforcing the "no show" policy
* (and optionally) postponing the conference
ReplyForward