Hello,

Back when I was doing in the greater China region, Skype was our go-to for allowing participants who couldn't make it on site. Most of our participants were low budget -- as were we.

For the speaker:

  *   Mobile: I had speakers participate using the Skype client on their mobiles, or me using Skype to dial their mobiles.
  *   Mobile device/computer: WiFi + laptop or device webcam and audio/mic; alternatively, they would use a headset plus webcam, or some combination thereof
  *   If the speaker will participate throughout the event, keep the speaker muted and ask them to use the chat function to let you know that they have questions.

For the venue:

  *   Have someone monitoring the computer with Skype at all times, in case the speaker gets disconnected or has questions in chat.
  *   If the venue has a sound system, hook up the computer/laptop to the venue's sound system and use it to call in the individual.
  *   Use an omnidirectional microphone so the remote speaker can hear the event, or ask all speakers to use a microphone so the remote speaker to more easily.
  *   Mute your own microphone while the speaker is presenting so there is limited background noise for them.

And do at least 1-2 tests beforehand, at least one with the speaker.

Warm regards,
Alainna

Alainna Wrigley
Publication Management System Coordinator
California Digital Library
[cid:ac61a80d-0ccd-46e1-8705-e6e5c7d4637a] https://orcid.org/0000-0002-6138-0903
http://uc-oa.info