*Apologies for any cross-posting

You are invited to participate in a research study comparing current levels of competency in data services with professional development initiatives. I am inviting all information professionals who engage in some level of data services to complete the survey, which you can access here:

https://umanitoba.libwizard.com/f/dataservices

The survey should take 10-20 minutes to complete. Participation is voluntary and you can withdraw at any time.

The study's goal is to collect and analyze data related to professional development initiatives to train current and future data services librarians. The purpose of this study is to evaluate whether additional skills training is needed to provide data services in Canadian academic libraries. Further, this study will evaluate which professional development initiatives are preferred by academic library practitioners.

This study may benefit participants because by completing the survey they are giving input into literature on academic librarian professional development. Participant feedback on how prepared academic librarians feel in providing library data services may be part of the literature through the study. Your participation will benefit the wider academic library community in better understanding how to train information professionals.

All responses are anonymous and no personally identifying information will be collected. An external form is provided at the end of the survey, with an option to submit your name and email to be entered into a draw for a $50 (CAD) Amazon gift certificate. This is completely optional and is not a requirement to participate in the survey. To withdraw from participating in the online questionnaire, you can close the online questionnaire and your responses will not be submitted. No survey responses are recorded before you select "Submit". This procedure is detailed in the consent form. Once you have completed and submitted the questionnaire, you will be unable to withdraw their data since there will be no way to distinguish it because we will not collect any personally identifiable information. Incomplete surveys will be recorded and analyzed.

I hope to get as many responses as possible, so please share this survey with any of your colleagues that you think may be interested. Thank you in advance.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me off-list at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>. This research study has been approved by the Joint Faculty Research Ethics Board at the University of Manitoba. I recognize the generous financial support from the Canadian Association of Research Libraries' Research in Librarianship Grant in support of this research study.

Thank you!

Justin Fuhr (University of Manitoba)
--
Justin Fuhr, MLIS
Liaison Librarian | 222B Sciences & Technology Library | University of Manitoba