Hi Kim --

I think this should be doable -- there may be more elegant ways, but I have
had success using the PDFTK with the "multibackground" operator; a bit more
info in these links:
https://www.pdflabs.com/tools/pdftk-the-pdf-toolkit/
https://linux.die.net/man/1/pdftk
http://cglab.ca/~morin/misc/pdfovl/

My use case was using existing hocr files to serve as the searchable layer
of a PDF of existing page images.
I'd also be happy to share with you some of the scripts I've used to
accomplish what you're suggesting, if that's helpful.

Let me know --

Josh