Hi Eric,

A few random thoughts -- basically all in agreement with what you've
already heard.

Agreed that subshells and I/O are what cost (I suspect disk IO in your
case) and that playing with the number of parallel processes may help.
Rewriting will only help if the dependencies and whatnot you're

How many entries is it processing? My gut reaction was to look at disk I/O,
but if you have a lot of entries, the subshells can also really add up. My
experience is that NFS is awful with anything that's IO intensive. Among
other things, if the find command has a lot to traverse, you may get better
results with the locate command filtered with a regex rather than find as
that will run in a fraction of a second.

Echoing and sedding your variables as is done in the script is surprisingly
expensive as are the piped sed commands which spawn separate processes. You
can roll them all in one very readable command which will run a lot faster
if you have a lot of processing to do

sed '
s/##ID##/$DOCUMENTID/
s|##SID##|$SID|
s|##TID##|$TID|
s|##TOKEN##|$TOKEN|
s|##LEMMA##|$LEMMA|
s|##POS##|$POS|
'

If you rewrite, what you're doing seems particularly well suited for perl.

kyle