Hi All: This is a query that I think is valuable for our larger digital preservation community, so please reply to the whole list.

A few years back we commissioned a new shared drive to be the staging area for content, where processing and metadata creation happens prior to ingest into our Digital Collections (Fedora/Hyrax) system. We original expected it to be about 5-10TBs of fluid space, with things coming in being processed, ingested and local copies disposed freeing up space. Unfortunately it has ballooned to 30TBs+. Some of that comes from a pause we had had on ingest leading up to the Hyrax upgrade, and being without a metadata librarian at the time, and part of it has come from a significant amount of av digitization that we had the funding to do, but not the human resources to push it through the process post-digitization.

So the series of questions I have been tasked with is to find out:

  *   How do more mature digital libraries manage temporary storage for processing?
  *   Do they also have a mismatch between their ambitions and their capacity?
  *   If not, what processes have they developed to keep them in sync?
  *   What prioritization metrics do you use?
  *   Are these adaptable processes for other institutions?

Please let me know your thoughts – Thanks – Dan

[The Ohio State University]
Daniel W. Noonan
Associate Professor
Digital Preservation Librarian
University Libraries | Digital Programs
320A 18th Avenue Library | 175 West 18th Avenue Columbus, OH 43210
614.247.2425 Office
[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> go.osu.edu/noonan<http://go.osu.edu/noonan> @DannyNoonan1962<https://twitter.com/DannyNoonan1962>
[cid:[log in to unmask]]http://orcid.org/0000-0002-7021-4106

Pronouns: he/him/his ~ Honorific: Mr.
Buckeyes consider the environment before printing.
Campus Campaign Fund: 483229 Rare Books and Manuscripts fund for LGBTQ