The U.S. National Archives (NARA) is pleased to announce that it has
released updates to its Digital Preservation Framework on GitHub:

https://github.com/usnationalarchives/digital-preservation

The framework is a set of documents that describe how we identify risks to
digital files and prioritize them for action, identify the essential
preservation characteristics for 16 different categories of electronic
records, and plan for the preservation of over 500 file formats. The
framework documents the National Archives' current capabilities and
practices, which will evolve over time.

This release incorporates feedback received from the 2019 draft release of
the framework. Several dozen comments were received from Federal agencies,
the private sector, stakeholders and subject matter experts during the
public comment period from September to November, 2019. NARA received
comments that included suggestions for the structure of the plans, feedback
about the proposed preservation actions, and additional formats that should
be covered in addition to our own continued work.

Updates include a new Preservation Action Plan for Calendar records, over
150 new file format variants, and expanded links to other resources.
Additionally, the Presentation Action Plans for individual file formats are
now presented in a spreadsheet for increased navigability and so the plans
can be more easily incorporated into the work of other organizations.

As always, we encourage comments and discussion on the plans using the
GitHub Issues feature on these or any other topics:

   -

   What revisions can you suggest to the proposed processing and
   preservation actions for the formats?
   -

   Are the Essential Characteristics for each record type comprehensive
   enough for digital preservation?
   -

   Are the proposed preservation actions for the formats technically
   appropriate?
   -

   Are there appropriate tools for processing and preservation of specific
   formats that we do not have listed?
   -

   Are there other formats we haven’t identified that need plans?

We will take comments and incorporate them into new versions which will
also be released. This is an ongoing initiative to assess risk and to
update and create new plans over time.

Leslie
Leslie Johnston
Director of Digital Preservation
U.S. National Archives and Records Administration (NARA)
301.837.3625