#WeMissiPRES
22,23,24 September 2020
Online

The global digital preservation community is cordially invited to submit proposals for a programme of talks and presentations on 22nd, 23rd and 24th September - a celebration of iPRES and digital preservation.

#WeMissiPRES is online so it can facilitate contributions from around the world where distance might inhibit participation, or from early career professionals who might not normally be able to afford travel and registration fees.
All are welcome.

#WeMissiPRES is not a conference. This invitation is generic, the proposed themes are expansive and the review process lightweight. There will be no 'papers' in the formal sense and nor will there be a weighty edited volume of proceedings. Think of this not so much as a call for papers as an invitation to sustain our discussions and keep us connected, until the time is right for a fully-fledged conference again. It's more like a fringe festival or a coffee shop conversation!

Themes

#WeMissiPRES is a collaboration and celebration of iPRES and all the digital preservation progress that has been made since the last gathering. To ignite the conversation, we have identified three themes:

  *   Picking up the threads of 2019
#WeMissiPRES falls more or less on the anniversary of iPRES in Amsterdam in September 2019. It has been a year which few could have anticipated. What has happened with all the great insights and plans we shared then? Themes about the role of archives in structural inequalities, the sociology of digital technologies and the preservation of open source intelligence were particularly prominent in the 2019 discussions, and a whole slew of projects, technologies, use cases and solutions were showcased. How have they fared considering the many upheavals of 2020?

  *   The Best of Digital Preservation, 2020
#WeMissiPRES gives us a chance to celebrate the best of digital preservation this year. That's partly about how the digital preservation community has responded to the COVID-19 Pandemic, but also the economic crises, the social movements, and ecological traumas of the year. The biennial International Digital Preservation Awards also take place in 2020, and the global digital preservation community is invited to participate. Despite the gloom and worry there's a lot to celebrate! #WeMissiPRES gives us an opportunity to do that.

  *   Digital Preservation in 2021
#WeMissiPRES gives us a chance to consider the near future, relating digital preservation to the 'new normal'. Let's face it, 2020 has been so disrupted that at times we've all struggled to plan to the end of the week, let alone to plan the long term of our digital infrastructures. This conversation is urgent. Will it be 'business as usual' when we get back to work? Or will the return to normality mean going 'back to the (unknown) future'? How do we capitalize on the successes we have demonstrated? What new challenges have arisen unseen? So we welcome reflections on actual events that have changed the world, and how digital preservation will have to accommodate them; and all other ideas about the future of digital preservation. One thing is certain, however: #WeMissiPRES also gives us a chance to relaunch and update plans for iPRES in 2021. So we will take this opportunity to give at least one small taste of the iPRES in 2021.

Presentations that encourage audience participation or introduce dialogue between two or more individuals are particularly encouraged. And we expect short presentations to be no more than about 10 minutes long - there will also be an opportunity for lightning talks.

Read the Call for Participation in full and submit your proposal by 19th August 2020.<https://www.dpconline.org/events/wemissipres>

*Apologies for cross-posting*

Sarah Middleton
Head of Communications and Advocacy
Digital Preservation Coalition
37 Tanner Row, York, YO1 6WP

Tel: 01904 601952

http://www.dpconline.org/
Twitter: @Sarah_DPC

'In a crisis the duty to document is not diminished: on the contrary it becomes more essential.'
Joint statement on record keeping and preservation in the light of COVID19<https://www.dpconline.org/news/the-duty-to-document-covid>

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be privileged. If you have received this message in error, please notify us and remove it from your system. The contents of this e-mail must not be disclosed or copied without the sender's consent and does not constitute legal advice.  We cannot accept any responsibility for viruses, so please scan all attachments. The statements and opinions expressed in this message are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of the DPC.
Registered in England No: 4492292