Hi DLF PET—I'm duplicating my prior message to give a BOOST to this AWESOME webinar we have coming up later this month.

Read on below for all the good stuff.

The DLF Privacy and Ethics in Technology Working Group will be hosting a webinar in two weeks on the topic of learning analytics. We're really excited to be working with the Data Doubles team in bringing this webinar to you.
Please mark your calendars for Tuesday, July 28 at 1 ET/12 CT/11 MT/10 PT.

I've included the webinar description and meeting information below:

Webinar Title
Engaging Student Perspectives in Library Learning Analytics

Webinar Description
Academic libraries are increasingly involved in efforts by colleges and universities to develop their capacity for learning analytics (LA). Despite significant privacy concerns, students are rarely informed about LA practices; without a clear student voice in the design of LA, academic libraries and their institutions put themselves in an ethical grey area.

Data Doubles is a student-centered, three-year, Institute of Museum and Library Services grant-funded research project that seeks to explore undergraduate student perspectives of privacy issues associated with LA at colleges and universities and their libraries. Thus far we have conducted 105 student interviews across eight institutions, followed by a multi-institution survey of over 2,000 undergraduates.

Our research revealed a lack of student awareness of educational data mining and analytic practices and the data necessary for these initiatives. Students saw potential in LA, but also expressed nuanced concerns. We also found that students care deeply about their privacy. They believe libraries track, share, and use a variety of personally identifiable information—and are uncomfortable with these practices. Further, students have an expectation to be able to access information that institutions collect and be informed about its uses.

Meeting Information

Topic: DLF-PET Webinar: "Engaging Student Perspectives in Library Learning Analytics"

Time: Jul 28, 2020 01:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting

https://clirdlf.zoom.us/j/98891543790?pwd=a0hWRm1qODlmc2pTY0FkV3kvMWRCdz09

Meeting ID: 988 9154 3790

Password: DLFzoom

Be in touch with me or Michelle Gibeault for more information about the webinar or to talk more about our working group.

Thanks all. Hope things are okay where you are, all things considered.

—Scott Young and Michelle Gibeault, Working Group co-conveners

______________­_
Scott W. H. Young (he/him)
Associate Professor, UX & Assessment Librarian
Montana State University
Editor, Weave: Journal of Library User Experience
Co-Convener, DLF Privacy and Ethics in Technology Working Group

Scott W. H. Young (he/him)
Associate Professor, UX & Assessment Librarian
Montana State University
Editor, Weave: Journal of Library User Experience
Co-Convener, DLF Privacy and Ethics in Technology Working Group

To unsubscribe from the DLF-SURVEILLANCE-TECH list, click the following link:
https://lists.clir.org/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=DLF-SURVEILLANCE-TECH