Hey,

There are several online converters, that can sometimes do better jobs, depending on how you configure their settings.

If you'd rather do them yourself, and have different controls, or particularly if you want to script multiple conversions, here are two methods that I've used.  If anyone has improvements to add to these, I'd appreciate hearing them.

Method #1 first converts the video to individual frames, and then constructs the frames into a gif.
Method #2 is a more direct conversion, however first generates a more focused palette, resulting in a smaller file size, than when using all available colours.

-Method #1 (requiring ImageMagick and ffmpeg being installed):
# Output video to frames
mkdir frames
ffmpeg -i', source_movie.mp4 -vf fps=10 frames/ffout%03d.png

# Assemble frames into a gif
convert -loop 0 frames/ffout*.png output.gif

-Method #2 (requiring ffmpeg):
# Get the palette
ffmpeg -i infile.mp4 -vf palettegen palette.png

# Generate the gif
ffmpeg -i infile.mp4 -i palette.png -filter_complex fps=10,paletteuse outfile.gif

Thanks,
LO