We use LiquidFiles.  It's a company that specializes in transferring
large files securely.  Receipients get an email containing a link to the
LiquidFiles site where they can get the file.  If they have an account
with the university, they just log in to get it.  If it's a patron who
doesn't have an account with the university, they enter their email
address and it sends them a verification code they have to enter in
order to get in.

In the case of somebody who does not have a university account but needs
to send us something, the way it works is that the person on our end who
needs the file logs into LiquidFiles and sends a File Request to the
sender.  They can then get access to LiquidFiles to respond to that
request.

Files expire and are deleted after three days by default, but that can
be adjusted either to a set time period or a set number of downloads on
a per-message basis.  Messages include check sums for verifying file
integrity.  I usually use their web interface for sending and receiving
secure files, but if you're sending a LOT of sensitive information,
there's an Outlook extension that will let you do the whole process from
within your email.

LiquidFiles was purchased by the university system I work for, so I'm
afraid I don't know exactly what security considerations they took into
account or how much it costs.

Will Martin

Head of Digital Initiatives, Systems and Services
Chester Fritz Library
University of North Dakota