Eric, it's possible to allow users to sign in to ORCID using their
institution's credentials:
https://members.orcid.org/api/integrate/institution-sign-in .  ORCID
offers lots of tech support, as does the ORCID US Commumity (
https://www.lyrasis.org/Leadership/Pages/orcid-technical-support.aspx ).
  If you're not finding what you're looking for, I suggest posting to
the discussion forum of the ORCID US Community: see
https://www.lyrasis.org/Leadership/Pages/orcid-community-resources.aspx
.  --Kevin