Charles,

Depending on the level of complexity, I really like canva.com for your
generic basic editing.

For more tools that are free and open source please consult this
comprehensive list from the Arch Linux wiki.

*
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/List_of_applications#Raster_graphics_editors

I hope that helps somewhat.

--