*** With apologies for x-posting***

You are welcome to attend the following webinar:

*September 25: “Events” in the Post-“Information” Age*

A/Professor Julia Sonnevend and Dr. Bernard Geoghegan

Will the word information acquire new meanings under the pressure of
technological transformations caused by the Covid-19 digital lockdown? How
will people understand, define and experience major or minor events when
they are limited to virtual encounters, online meetings and social media
catch-ups? The webinar will interrogate old meanings and explore emerging
connotations of what becomes information and whither the nature of an event
in the seamless enfolding of the two in the online world.

*Register here:*

https://arts.unimelb.edu.au/research/digital-studio/programs/seminar-series/2020/events-in-the-post-information-age

*Date & time:*

September 25, 2020

New York (Eastern Daylight Time):                            8:00 AM

London (Greenwich Mean Time +1):                        1:00 PM

Melbourne (Australian Eastern Standard Time):    10:00 PM

This webinar is a part of the series:

*Redefining Digital Keywords*

*From Digital Archaisms to (Post)Pandemic Neologisms*

(Digital Studio, the University of Melbourne)

*Register here: *
https://arts.unimelb.edu.au/research/digital-studio/programs/seminar-series

*Synopsis:*

In 2016 Benjamin Peters published his edited collection *Digital Keywords*
<https://press.princeton.edu/books/hardcover/9780691167336/digital-keywords>
(Princeton
University Press). With provocative short essays from international digital
media scholars in anthropology, history, political science, philosophy,
religious studies, rhetoric, science and technology studies, and sociology,
the book explored and critiqued the rich vocabulary of the growing field of
digital humanities on 25 keywords, ranging from meme to surrogate, from
forum to mirror, from cloud to digital.

The pandemic outbreak has challenged and reconfigured human experience
across physical, social and digital realities, and hence urges us to
revisit our digital keywords vocabulary. This global webinar series will
bring together leading digital humanities scholars to reflect upon their
original contributions to the *Digital Keywords. *Each webinar will focus
on two digital phenomena and their corresponding keywords to explore how
their meanings are changing in the face of disruptions caused by lockdowns
or social distancing, and what new cultural practices, social challenges
and political implications emerge around the new digital vocabulary.

Series curated by Dr Natalia Grincheva (Digital Studio Senior Research
Fellow).

*Schedule*

*October 9: “Geeking” and “Prototyping” the “New Normal”*

A/Professor Christina Dunbar-Hester and Professor Fred Turner

Could we imagine and prototype human life in the post-pandemic world? Will
geeks rule in the emerging social conditions of the new normal, or will
they simply become extinct in the digital mainstreaming of daily life?
The webinar will tackle the question of human typologies in new social
formations and online networks.

*October 23: “Sharing” and “Gaming” in the Post-pandemic World*

Dr. Nicholas A. John and Professor Saugata Bhaduri

How do we share online versus offline and what games can we play when
limited within digital reality? What are the consequences on our health and
well-being of non-stop digital sharing of our lives and emotions? And is it
possible to transfer sport matches, games, and even such world sport
mega-events as the Olympics into the digital world? The webinar will aim to
answer these questions in conversation with Dr Nicholas A. John and
Professor Saugata Bhaduri.

*November 6: “Zooming” In and Out to Examine the “Virus”*

Professor Jodie McVernon and Professor Sean Cubitt

What new meanings of words such as zoom and virus did the Convid-19
outbreak instigate? How did we move from ‘Google it’ to ‘Let’s Zoom’, and
what are the economic and political implications of platform-imperialism in
the time of the 24/7 digital communication? What are the real and potential
powers of online and biological viruses to disrupt, challenge, improve or
destroy human life? The final webinar will facilitate a cross-disciplinary
conversation between researchers at the University of Melbourne to share
insights on the role of digital technologies in the current pandemic with
its consequences for moral, social and physical being.