Dear Colleagues,

Earlier in the summer, we sent out an email asking if you could identify any emergency preservation needs that your organization may have during these turbulent financial times. We heard from a few folks - both with “we are okay” and “we are not okay” responses. In some cases, responses also indicated that they were less affected by the pandemic than they were by systemic under-resourcing which was reaching a crisis level.  This is just a quick update to let you know that the NDSA Leadership will be reaching out to those who responded to discuss possible next steps. On the one hand, the news seems not to be as alarming in that we didn’t hear from as many organizations as we had feared who were under significant financial duress; on the other, this may be the product of insufficient information—we may not have cast our net widely enough. I am appending the original email below and the request for information still stands: if your situation has changed or you didn’t respond the first time, please feel free to do so using the link below.

In addition, if you would like to help the NDSA ascertain the best way to manage and help determine possible solutions for those in need, let us know. Collectively, we are the strength of the digital preservation profession and we need your expertise and experience to help find the right solutions. Of course, if you want to contact me directly, please do so as well.

Wishing you all good health,

Bradley

Bradley J. Daigle
Chair, NDSA Leadership
Academic Preservation Trust
University of Virginia Library
434-924-4735

——————
Dear Colleagues,

Today’s NDSA Leadership call sparked a timely conversation around digital preservation in times of crisis. Several of us have been in conversations with organizations—small colleges, historical societies, community archives—in short, anyone who stewards collections and is preparing for a serious economic downturn. These situations may vary from temporary shutdowns to permanent closures. Many of these organizations also hold both physical and digital materials—much of which are unique to our cultural record. Given the size and reach of organizations such as the NDSA and our focus on the need for clear succession strategies, we would like to understand, shape, and explore possible solutions that could minimize or avoid the potential for irretrievable damage or loss of collections due to current (or future) economic and institutional disruption.

But first, we need to get a better understanding of the scope of that need.

The NDSA would like to hear from you, your networks, your colleagues so we can so we can determine the potential scope and likelihood of the problem to help us derive effective strategies in response, and to coordinate who could lend a hand in implementing that response. We are primarily looking at digital materials but feel free to include information about your physical holdings. So at this information gathering stage, we ask you to take a few minutes to fill out this form:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdLewNvzzBDU8sPtSDyfr3vpd1LuI4xSgTr7BSqpWMjuGFG7w/viewform