Dear Colleagues,

We hope that this message finds you healthy, safe, and finding ways each
week (big and small) to be kind to yourself.

The EaaSI
<https://www.softwarepreservationnetwork.org/emulation-as-a-service-infrastructure/>
team is excited to kickoff our Resource Highlight series!

Resource Highlights are monthly opportunities for the EaaSI team to share
our work more broadly. Resources range from staff blog posts that connect
software curation and emulation to current events to capacity building
templates that provide structured activities for digital curation
practitioners to reports from our EaaSI partner organizations on their own
emulation explorations.

Our Resource Highlight for September is an activity called “Exploring our
Emulation Environment.” <http://bit.ly/eaasi-explore-environment>

Just like a behavioral biologist venturing into a nearby forest to explore,
observe, and describe the family structures of squirrel families > or just
like humanists use close and distant forms of reading to unearth insights
that enable new interpretations of a text….this exercise asks practitioners
to put on their observational goggles and give close examination to the
creator and curatorial decisions inscribed at each layer of our emulation
environment.

The “Exploring our Emulation Environment” capacity building template
includes a clear set of objectives, a list of any requirements of supplies,
instructions on how to organize the activity (for a larger or smaller
group), and the actual worksheet where group discussion about the
environment(s) can be documented.

View and Download the capacity building template here:
http://bit.ly/eaasi-explore-environment

*2021 Hosted Emulation Service Pilot:*

If you are interested in participating in a pilot for EaaSI Hosted
Emulation Services, join SPN for 2021! EaaSI is partnering with the
Software Preservation Network to provide an exclusive, one year testing
pilot of the EaaSI beta hosted service for participants in SPN member
organizations. During this pilot, SPN would act as the first point of
contact for EaaSI Hosted Service for its members, standardizing and
overseeing member onboarding to the Network and synthesizing feedback/data
from members in order to inform the EaaSI development roadmap and service
design. Learn more about SPN member benefits and download a Membership
Agreement on our the Get Involved
<https://www.softwarepreservationnetwork.org/get-involved/#apply> section
of our website.

If you have questions for the project team, please contact the EaaSI
Community Cultivation Lead, Jessica Meyerson, at
<jessica[at]educopia[dot]org>.

MORE ABOUT EAASI

EaaSI provides a standards-compliant, interoperable solution for accessing
and reusing software over time. EaaSI addresses issues of software
collection development by enabling multiple institutions to configure,
share, and access software and configured environments within the same
network. This directly complements existing efforts by the Software
Preservation Network <https://www.softwarepreservationnetwork.org/> and
others to address key aspects of software preservation including legal
advocacy, research about local software preservation needs, institutional
capacity building for software preservation, collection development,
professional development and training, and workflow recommendations.

--
*Jessica Meyerson*
Director for Research & Strategy | Educopia Institute <http://educopia.org/>

Pronouns: she/her/hers
Working from Austin, TX
jessica[at]educopia[dot]org | 512-864-4575
https://calendly.com/jmeyerson