We invite applications to our world-renowned and highly interdisciplinary
doctoral program at the School of Information Sciences (iSchool) at the
University of Illinois. Our students have backgrounds in a broad range of
fields, including the arts, humanities, social sciences, computing, and
artificial intelligence. Our students receive one-on-one mentorship from
faculty who have a global reputation for research excellence in a range of
overlapping areas:

ARCHIVES & DIGITAL CURATION: information preservation; data curation; data
provenance
ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE & DATA SCIENCE: information management; machine
learning; natural language processing; data mining; data governance;
information visualization; privacy, security and trust; reproducibility
DIGITAL HUMANITIES: cultural analytics, distant reading, computational
music analysis, digital history
HEALTH, MEDICAL & BIOINFORMATICS: learning health care systems, clinical
informatics, biomedical ontologies, implementation science, health in
social media, privacy in health, health devices, global health, evidence
based medicine, semantic representations in medicine
HUMAN-COMPUTER INTERACTION: computer supported cooperative work; design and
evaluation of information systems and services; mobile computing; user
experience
INFORMATION ORGANIZATION & ACCESS: information literacy; information
retrieval; foundations of information; knowledge representation and
ontologies
INFORMATION, CULTURE & SOCIETY: community, cultural, and social
informatics; diversity and social justice; information policy; science and
technology studies; youth services
LIBRARY TECHNOLOGIES & SERVICES: digital libraries; education of
information and professionals; libraries and librarianship
SCIENCE OF SCIENCE: knowledge representation and ontologies; bibliometrics,
infometrics and scientometrics
SOCIAL COMPUTING & COMPUTATIONAL SOCIAL SCIENCE: crisis informatics;
computing for social good; social networks; FATE (fairness, accountability,
transparency, ethics)

For a comprehensive list of research areas, see:
https://ischool.illinois.edu/research/areas
For more about our faculty visit http://ischool.illinois.edu/people/faculty

The School's flexible program prepares students with the intellectual
guidance and experiences necessary for vibrant research careers in a wide
range of academic, business, and public sector settings. Accepted students
are guaranteed four years of funding in the form of research, teaching, and
service assistantships, which include tuition waivers and stipends. We also
offer travel support. We especially encourage students from historically
and statistically underrepresented minority groups to apply.

Our PhD program in Library and Information Science is the oldest existing
LIS doctoral program in the U.S. with 270 graduates. Recent graduates are
now faculty members at institutions such as the University of Michigan,
University of Washington, University of Maryland, and UCLA, professionals
at Baidu, Google, and AbbVie, and academic library professionals at the
Library of Congress, Princeton University, and the University of Chicago.

APPLICATION
For more information about the application process, please visit:
https://ischool.illinois.edu/degrees-programs/phd-library-and-information-science/apply
Application deadline is Tuesday, December 01, 2020, at 11:00 p.m., Central
Time.

For additional information about our PhD program, see
https://ischool.illinois.edu/degrees-programs/phd-library-and-information-science
For questions, please contact Prof. Michael Twidale, PhD Program Director,
at [log in to unmask]