This year marks the 10th Anniversary of the opening of the Scholarly Commons!

Please join us in celebrating this momentous occasion by visiting our digital exhibit at go.illinois.edu/SCten<go.illinois.edu/scten>.

Help us celebrate by attending a virtual talk by Scholarly Commons alumni Thomas Padilla on "Responsible Operations: Data Science, Machine Learning, and AI in Libraries" on October 20th at 3:30 pm CT.

You can find a full description of his talk and Zoom Room information below.

Thomas Padilla, Interim Head of Knowledge Production at University of Nevada
"Responsible Operations: Data Science, Machine Learning, and AI in Libraries"
October 20th, 2020 | 3:30-4:30 pm CT | Zoom Webinar Room<https://illinois.zoom.us/j/91255834641?pwd=VStWdmZleEZrV25uQWI3VGIvZGI1dz09#success>
Cultural heritage practitioners and their partners express increased interest in the use of algorithmic methods. They seek to improve collection description and discovery, develop machine actionable collections, and create space for members of their organisations to expand skills and deepen cross-functional community partnerships. Like peers in other sectors, they feel the gravitational pull of machine learning and artificial intelligence, yet they seek to avoid increasingly well documented misuses of these technologies. This talk will advance an argument for the importance of responsible operations in the work that lies ahead. The speaker will draw on his experience leading development of an Responsible Operations: Data Science, Machine Learning, and AI in Libraries; Collections as Data: Part to Whole, and Always Already Computational: Collections as Data.

We want to thank everyone who has supported and made possible the vision of the Scholarly Commons. We emphasize collaboration in our services, and it is with you all that we continue to grow.

Please do share this information and the attached digital fliers with any interested colleagues.

Best,

Sara

Sara R. Benson
Interim Head of the Scholarly Commons
Copyright Librarian & Assistant Professor
Scholarly Communication & Publishing
University of Illinois Library
(217) 333-4200
Pronouns: she/her