Dear digital preservation community members,

We are pleased to present Good Migrations: A Checklist for Moving from One Digital Preservation Stack to Another<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/docs.google.com/document/d/1huA7syz25QJ6S7klbNQetHOgpB6BAIkl2x8rLJQoI7M/edit?usp=sharing__;!!Mih3wA!Uc30FX4gCDn9OewwOYoTXAxEs_M5nqUncMfDqTRmCJZWEYnbfwojqD97NMwjCP2X$> for your evaluation and feedback. We’ve used the functional areas from the NDSA Levels of Digital Preservation<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/ndsa.org/publications/levels-of-digital-preservation/__;!!Mih3wA!Uc30FX4gCDn9OewwOYoTXAxEs_M5nqUncMfDqTRmCJZWEYnbfwojqD97NESfZcrx$> as a framework for a checklist for planning migrations from one digital preservation system to another and found this a useful construct for thinking through steps. We welcome any and all feedback on this document. We ask that you comment or suggest changes directly in the Google Doc, but if you don’t feel comfortable doing that, you may contact anyone on the working group. Please submit any feedback by 5pm ET, Friday, 20 November.

This work has been spearheaded over the past few months by a small working group within the NDSA<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/ndsa.org__;!!Mih3wA!Uc30FX4gCDn9OewwOYoTXAxEs_M5nqUncMfDqTRmCJZWEYnbfwojqD97NElxJeDX$>. The group based its work on a previous checklist, drafted but not finalized, by the NDSA Infrastructure group in 2015. Our goal was to quickly review the previous work, make any necessary revisions, and to issue a call for community feedback before seeking to publish the document.

In order to issue this document quickly, the working group kept the scope to making neutral recommendations while trying to avoid specific recommendations for tools or methods to accomplish the checklist items. However, we recognize that this type of specific guidance, or use cases drawing upon migration experiences, might also be useful to the community. If you are interested in working on a companion guide, please contact one of the working group members. This information will be passed on to the NDSA Coordinating Committee who can charge a new working group to create that companion guidance.

Thank you,

The 2020 Good Migrations Working Group

Sibyl Schaefer (Chair, [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>)

Matt Schultz ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>)

Linda Tadic ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>)

Nathan Tallman ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>)

Paige Walker ([log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>)