Dear Colleagues,

Hoping that you are enjoying your week so far!

This month, the Emulation-as-a-Service-Infrastructure (EaaSI) team is happy
to share our October Resource Highlight entitled  “EaaSI Webinar Series,”
which consists of four different episodes recorded in 2019, each of which
tackles a different facet of EaaSI’s approach to emulation. Resource
Highlights are monthly opportunities for the EaaSI team to share our work
more broadly. Resources range from staff blog posts that connect software
curation and emulation to current events to capacity building templates
that provide structured activities for digital curation practitioners to
reports from our EaaSI partner organizations on their own emulation
explorations.

As we plan our December virtual event (stay tuned for more!), it is useful
to review resources from the first stage of our program, to see what still
works as a resource for people and organizations that want to learn more
about emulation. The EaaSI Webinar Series, together with September’s
“Exploring
our Emulation Environment” capacity building template
<http://bit.ly/eaasi-explore-environment> and our “Emulation Environments”
training module <http://bit.ly/eaasi-training-module-1> released earlier
this month, provides a robust conceptual overview of emulation as well as
ways of grounding those concepts in the realities of daily practice,
collection policy development, and the broader metadata ecosystem of the
Internet which libraries, archives, and museums are only one part of.

You can view entire episodes and download transcripts for each episode in
the “EaaSI Webinar Series” using the following links:

   -

   Why EaaSI? System Overview
   <https://www.softwarepreservationnetwork.org/eaasi-webinar-series-1-why-eaasi-system-overview/>
   -

   Emulators and Configuration Workflows
   <https://www.softwarepreservationnetwork.org/eaasi-webinar-series-4-emulators-and-configuration-workflows/>
   -

   Legal and Institutional Policy Frameworks
   <https://www.softwarepreservationnetwork.org/august-2019-eaasi-webinar-legal-and-institutional-policy-frameworks/>

   -

   EaaSI Metadata Model and Wikidata
   <https://www.softwarepreservationnetwork.org/august-2019-eaasi-webinar-legal-and-institutional-policy-frameworks/>

PARTICIPATE: 2021 EaaSI Hosted Emulation Services Pilot

EaaSI is offering an exclusive Hosted Emulation Services Pilot in 2021 for
all members that renew or join SPN for 2021. The Hosted Emulation Services
Pilot Summary
<https://www.softwarepreservationnetwork.org/hosted-emulation-services-pilot-summary/#join>
(linked here and also attached as PDF) provides all the information an
organization might need to determine if they would like to participate as a
pilot node, including:

   -

   Goals of the pilot
   -

   Defining EaaSI and EaaSI features
   -

   Roles of staff and pilot nodes
   -

   Benefits of participating in the pilot
   -

   Pilot services provided by EaaSI
   -

   Expectations of participating pilot nodes including activities and time
   commitment
   -

   Timeline of key phases and activities to take place over the course of
   the pilot period
   -

   Pilot measures, data collection, and documentation - this section
   describes what data we plan to collect, how we plan to collect it, and data
   retention during and after the pilot

Are you curious about what “hosted emulation services” might look like? Do
you want to know how software configuration and emulation might fit into
your existing workflows? Are you interested in having a structured series
of conversations with a cohort of peer organizations that are looking to
develop and share workflows, policies, and software?

If you said YES to any of the questions above, join SPN
<https://www.softwarepreservationnetwork.org/hosted-emulation-services-pilot-summary/#join>
to participate in the SPN Exclusive EaaSI Hosted Emulation Services pilot
in 2021.

STAY INFORMED

To receive bi-monthly EaaSI updates via newsletter and share your software
preservation successes/challenges, sign up for the Software Preservation
Network mailing list by visiting
https://groups.google.com/d/forum/software-preservation-network.

If you have questions for the project team, please contact the EaaSI
Community Outreach Lead, Jessica Meyerson, at <jessica[at]educopia[dot]org>.

MORE ABOUT EAASI
The EaaSI program builds on previous work to apply the Emulation-as-a-Service
(EaaS) <http://eaas.uni-freiburg.de/> framework for access and use of
preserved software and digital objects. The project is focused on scaling
the technological framework necessary for multiple institutions to
configure, share, and access software and configured environments. EaaSI is
focused on a distributed, community-driven architecture that sits on top of
existing digital preservation infrastructure. This directly complements
existing efforts by the Software Preservation Network
<https://www.softwarepreservationnetwork.org/> and others to address key
aspects of software preservation including legal advocacy, research about
local software preservation needs, institutional capacity building for
software preservation, collection development, professional development and
training, and workflow recommendations.

--
*Jessica Meyerson*
Director for Research & Strategy | Educopia Institute <http://educopia.org/>

Pronouns: she/her/hers
Working from Austin, TX
jessica[at]educopia[dot]org | 512-864-4575
https://calendly.com/jmeyerson