We are working on a more automated process for our Electronic Thesis and Dissertations, and I'm wondering if anyone here has already done this and is willing to share code and/or where to watch for potholes.

The University Graduate Student office works with students to submit their final/official ETDs to ProQuest.  ProQuest does some of their own processing and then FTPs the ETDs as a zip file of PDFs and XML to a drop zone we host.  In addition to accessioning them into our digital archives, we want to automate pre-loading the metadata for Connexion so our Cataloging group can verify the data and add their local, human touch before pushing it up to OCLC.

Our thinking was to script a conversion for the ProQuest XML to MarcXML and import that into Connexion.  Has anyone already written a tool to do that?  Is there an alternative (/better?) process?

Thanks,
Erich

--
Erich Hammer            Head of Library Systems
[log in to unmask]         University Libraries

"A man is accepted into a church for what he believes and
he is turned out for what he knows."        -- Mark Twain