I think you will be happiest in the long run if Tree exposes an interface
that is the same as other interfaces you are familiar with, and it is
entirely reasonable for a Node object to 1) exist and 2) know its own path.
Also I think a "copy" method should only copy, not "copy and instantiate"
(if a function is most accurately described with a phrase containing 'and',
it wants to be at least two functions). Keeping its responsibilities small
will make it easier to write, test, and maintain.

There's something pulling at my brain about this class structure that I
can't quite identify without seeing the data, but it is something about the
name and responsibilities of Tree. Knowing how to copy is treelike. But
knowing how to deal with specific metadata types is possibly more Nodelike?

You say there are lots of possible input types and output types -- what
does the part between them look like? Does everything go through some sort
of common state? If so, it would make sense for a Node to know how to
transform between its content type and that common form, and for Trees to
deal only with the common form. Admittedly I cannot imagine what that
common form would look like. But otherwise you're writing a fully-connected
graph of transforms between everything and everything and you will be
extremely sad as this graph grows.

Anyway. I'm not quite sure where I'm going with this, without having the
code in front of me. But I think it's worth being very explicit with
yourself about what you expect the responsibilities of each class to be,
because then you can look at whether those responsibilities make sense,
whether the class names correctly describe those sets of responsibilities,
and what interfaces you need to expose to make it harmonize.

--
Andromeda Yelton
Web Applications Developer, Berkman Klein Center: https://cyber.harvard.edu