Recruiting Doctoral Students, PhD in Information

School of Information, University of Arizona ~ Arizona’s iSchool

ischool.arizona.edu

The School of Information at the University of Arizona is accepting applications for its PhD program to begin Fall 2021. We are seeking a wide variety of students and, especially, those with interests in:

• machine learning                                         • natural language processing

• text retrieval                                                 • archival studies

• digital curation                                             • virtual/mixed reality

• game development and design                   • human computer interaction (HCI)

• educational technology                               • qualitative and mixed research methods

Having advanced object-oriented programming skills, experience with machine learning toolkits such as scikit-learn or TensorFlow, and/or experience with widely used real-time development platforms such as Unity would be a plus. Instructional experiences are also beneficial and should be highlighted in application materials but are not required. Funded positions will be available for select graduate students; those students will receive tuition remission and a stipend in exchange for research-related activity or instructional work.

The School of Information is an academic department and a professional school in the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences at the University of Arizona, the state’s only public land grant university. The School of Information aims to inspire interdisciplinary understanding, diverse interpretation, creation, and use of the emerging knowledge and information environments of the 21st century through innovative instruction and state-of-the-art technology. The School is a place for the interdisciplinary study of information, broadly conceived, and is focused on preparing students for living, thinking, and working in the digital age.

The school and the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences are dedicated to creating a serious, open, free intellectual space for inquiry, one in which faculty, students, staff members, and community partners can participate fully, regardless of race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexuality, age, socio-economic status, citizenship status, size, abled status, language, religion, or any other characteristic. Strategically positioned to lead the University of Arizona’s status as a Hispanic Serving Institution, SBS foregrounds our awareness of the deep ancestral footprint of our region’s populations and cultures, including the Tohono O’odham and Pascua Yaqui peoples whose traditional lands we inhabit. We honor diverse knowledge traditions and lived experiences, and we strive to foster accessibility and equity, the conditions in which our members together can produce new, rigorous, urgent, and evidence-based knowledge.

For more Information, please see: https://ischool.arizona.edu/phd-information

The application deadline is January 02, 2021.

For quick questions about the application process or materials, please reach out to our administrative support team through Barb Vandervelde at [log in to unmask]

---
Dr. Zack Lischer-Katz, PhD
Assistant Professor, Digital Curation & Preservation
School of Information, Harvill435B
University of Arizona
http://zacklischerkatz.com