I am concerned by the fact that the IP Registry appears to have gone
around figuring out the IP ranges for schools based on public records
from the IANA and a bunch of vendor records.  I'm sure that was
difficult, and their site says it took four years.  When it was done,
they announced that 58% of IP ranges were wrong, and began selling the
service to vendors and telling them what our IP addresses are based on
their analysis.

I claimed the account for my institution and discovered that there were
26 vendors already pulling my university's IP ranges from the IP
Registry.  Unfortunately, the IP ranges were wrong.  To name a few
problems:

1) They conflated us with another school in the same university system.

2) They could not know that there are a couple of IP ranges that we
prefer to be treated as "off campus" even though they belong to the
University.

3) They had no way to know that one particular range of our IPs is
assigned to a library consortium in our state, and used for proxy
servers that serve the other institutions in the university system plus
several dozen public libraries.

The third point is critical.  By distributing these erroneous IP ranges
on my school's behalf, without permission, the IP registry has
effectively granted access to 26 of our subscriptions to basically
everyone in my state.  We are thus in violation of our license
agreements and will be at risk of legal action by the publishers until I
can sort this mess out.

Because this involves multiple institutions -- my own, the broader
university system, the aforementioned library consortium -- I am going
to have to contact and explain the situation to a lot of people, and
spend a lot of time checking and re-checking IP ranges, all in service
of updating the IP Registry's records.

Then they get to turn around and charge the publishers for my work.

But frankly, their business model feels like extortion to me. We have to
verify their records, or there's a chance that our resources will be
accessible to people who should not have access because their analysis
was incorrect.  They appear to have engineered a situation that puts my
institution in potential legal jeopardy, which we can only get out of by
improving the data that the IP Registry is selling for a profit.

I am not happy with them.  The basic idea -- a centralized repository of
IP ranges for bulk updating publisher records -- is both sound and
useful.  But their business model leaves a bad taste in my mouth.  If I
could, I would opt out of the system.  But they do not appear to have
made a mechanism available to do so.

Will Martin

Head of Digital Initiatives, Systems and Services
Chester Fritz Library
University of North Dakota