On Feb 22, 2021, at 12:58 PM, Eric Lease Morgan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I am in the process of writing a system which analyzes ("reads") texts at scale. The system is called the Distant Reader. In order to use the the system on a desktop computer, it is all but necessary to have a computer with more than two CPUs. I'm curious to know a bit about your computer so I can learn about the feasibility of sharing the system's software to wider audiences

My little survey was certainly that, little. A mere 40 people completed the survey, and the results are:

  * the use of the operating system was equally split between Windows, Linux, and Macintosh

  * the use of the command line was higher than I expected

  * the number of CPUs/cores was both higher and more promising than I expected

But I don't think the results are/were representative of our community. In my workplace few people use the command line as often as reported in the (all but meaningless) survey. Similarly, 1/3 of the people in my workplace do not use Linux as their primary operating system.

That said, I do believe there are more people with multi-core machines than I had originally anticipated.

--
Eric Morgan