Hi Sergio,

We used geonames for location data for our "Avian Archives of Iowa Online" project (https://avian.lib.iastate.edu/). We used the api function to query geonames in realtime through our project site. The site serves as both the public output and the staff interface for adding records and working with metadata. We also contributed new locations to geonames as needed for the project. Once geonames was updated, we used the project site to pull in those locations using the api.

Here is a sample location record: https://avian.lib.iastate.edu/places/22/view

And, here is the project data (csv metadata records and the project's APIs): https://avian.lib.iastate.edu/data

 I hope this is helpful. Our project documentation (metadata templates, data dictionary, procedures, etc.) used to be available on the website but I don't see it anymore. I no longer work there and so can't share it.

Best,

~ Kim

Kimberly Anderson, Ph.D.
Director, Special Collections