My other concern is if EZProxy only has an OCLC hosted options, we are losing control of user data.
Kun

From: Caffrey-Hill, Julia
Sent: Monday, March 15, 2021 11:10 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] RA21/ seamlessaccess.org

Hi,
I'd be interested in reading more about that decision too, if a source link is available.

If libraries are truly going toward OpenAthens, especially vendor-mediated OpenAthens, there will need to be community support, guidelines, and best-practices from library colleagues on what end-user identifiable information should absolutely never be linked to it.

In sessions on OpenAthens by vendors, they've really excitedly shared how it will open up opportunities for e-resource analytics by connecting patron demographics. The potential unintended consequences of libraries paying with user data / becoming the product / failing to live the ALA Core value of providing patron privacy are not hard to imagine, and in my opinion something that must be avoided.

Julia

Julia Caffrey-Hill
(she/her/hers)
Web Services Librarian