Tod,

Yep, we are a member of InCommon, do have a default attribute release policy, and do use Shibboleth for all sorts of other authentications.  However, based on many years of experience (outside the Library), I never assume anything here is "by convention".

For example, the IdP does release eduPersonScopedAffiliation as a default, and that is one of the attributes JSTOR accepts.  The current options available with that attribute here are not sufficient for identifying who we give access to eResources.  I mentioned this to our IdM group and added that JSTOR also accepts eduPersonEntitlement, and their immediate response is to ask about the criteria for the Entitlement attribute will be used and if we have examples of other libraries that are using it.  IOW, they haven't been asked about that attribute yet.

I don't really have any concerns other than if our IdM group will be willing to adjust their Shib attributes to be compatible with JSTOR (and other vendors).  I'd love to go back to the IdM group with "Yes, this is pretty standard, and here are a few Libraries doing this".  Even better would be to add, "and here are the other large eResource vendors that use the same attribute and who we would also like to configure for SSO".  Thus, my question.

Thanks for the response.

Erich

On Thursday, March 25, 2021 at 15:54, Tod Olson eloquently inscribed: