Hello PETs!

Want to hear what privacy-related projects your peers have been up to in their libraries?

Want to get inspired to consider work you might want to pursue?

Please join us…

DLF Privacy & Ethics in Technology Working Group

TODAY

3 ET / 2 CT / 1 MT / 12 PT

https://tulane.zoom.us/j/94782330615?pwd=SWEzSk11WllNNDQvTzNtR3pjRWdtQT09

Sharing Stories this week:

Eliza Bettinger, Cornell University Library, &

Shea Swauger, Auraria Library, University of Colorado Denver

Beginning this week, we be sharing our stories with each other. We invite PET members to consider the privacy and technology ethics situations in their own institutions, and address one or more of the following questions:

Each person will talk (briefly!) for 10-15 min, then we’ll open for questions/discussion. Our goals here are to:

  1. Get to know each other better
  2. Learn about privacy advocacy from each other's experiences
  3. Decide what directions we should take the group from here.

This week, Eliza Bettinger will talk about developing privacy literacy workshops in her library, and organizing her fellow academic librarians to pass a resolution in favor of responsible governance of student data – including the highs and lows, victories and frustrations.

We can’t promise exactly what Shea Swauger will talk about, but he has published on data surveillance by test-proctoring software companies, been threatened with legal action with Proctorio, been cited by Elizabeth Warren in US Sentate hearings, and he has argued against data-collecting vendors in front of his institution’s Faculty Senate, so his talk promises to include plenty of thrills and chills!!

Finally, one more thing: If you want to attend a virtual talk, consider making time for this lecture from last week at Indiana University by contextual privacy advocate and professor Helen Nissenbaum.

Hope to see you this afternoon!!!!!!!!!

Eliza Bettinger

Michelle Gibeault

Paige Walker

DLF-PET coveners

--

Eliza Bettinger

Lead Librarian for Digital Scholarship

she/her

Join Cornell’s DH Listserv

Schedule a DH Consultation

106 Olin Library

Cornell University

Ithaca NY 14853 USA

To unsubscribe from the DLF-SURVEILLANCE-TECH list, click the following link:
https://lists.clir.org/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=DLF-SURVEILLANCE-TECH