From: "Walker, Paige" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Friday, April 16, 2021 at 5:55 PM
To: DLF Privacy and Ethics in Technology <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Save the Date: DLF PET 4/28 @ 3p Eastern

Hello, fellow PETs!

Want to hear what privacy-related projects your peers have been up to in their libraries?

Want to get inspired to consider work you might want to pursue?

Please join us…

DLF Privacy & Ethics in Technology Working Group

Wednesday, April 28

3 ET / 2 CT / 1 MT / 12 PT

https://clirdlf.zoom.us/j/98231934451

Sharing Stories this month:

Paige Walker, Tisch Library, Tufts University, &

John Mark Ockerbloom, University of Pennsylvania

We are continuing the tradition we started last month to build community through storytelling. We invite PET members to consider the privacy and technology ethics situations in their own institutions, and address one or more of the following questions:

Each person will talk (briefly!) for 10-15 min, then we’ll open for questions/discussion. Our goals here are to:

  1. Get to know each other better
  2. Learn about privacy advocacy from each other's experiences
  3. Decide what directions we should take the group from here.

This month, Paige Walker will talk about work on her team’s IMLS-funded National Forum on the Prevention of Cyber Sexual Abuse, which seeks to build a shared understanding about how cyber sexual abuse is perpetrated, the racialized and gendered power structures that enable it, and tools and strategies to prevent it. She’ll also discuss strategies and challenges for building communities both within campus ecosystems themselves and between library practitioners nationwide.

John Mark Ockerbloom will discuss the work that Penn Libraries is doing to limit the information sent out to users who access articles on publisher sites via the campus's single-sign-on system. After describing the problem, he’ll elaborate on accomplishments, difficulties, lessons learned, and what they’d like to do going forward. He’ll also touch on how Penn Libraries could work with folks on other campuses to address some of the more challenging issues in ensuring our systems respect people's privacy and preferences for a variety of publishers.

Hope to see you there!

Eliza Bettinger

Michelle Gibeault

Paige Walker

DLF-PET coveners

CLIRDLF Account 2 is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: DLF-Privacy & Ethics in Technology Working Group
Time: Apr 28, 2021 03:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting
https://clirdlf.zoom.us/j/98231934451

Meeting ID: 982 3193 4451
Passcode: DLFzoom
One tap mobile
+16468769923,,98231934451# US (New York)
+13017158592,,98231934451# US (Washington DC)

Dial by your location
+1 646 876 9923 US (New York)
+1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
+1 408 638 0968 US (San Jose)
+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
Meeting ID: 982 3193 4451
Find your local number:
https://clirdlf.zoom.us/u/aze2Yyjhn

Paige Walker

Head of Digital Initiatives, Tisch Library

Tufts University

617-627-6027

she/her/hers

To unsubscribe from the DLF-SURVEILLANCE-TECH list, click the following link:
https://lists.clir.org/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=DLF-SURVEILLANCE-TECH