Hi there,
me again, still working on Corel display font files.  A bigger job than I
thought.  Hoping someone can shed some light on this jumble of files and
provide some guidance in converting/migrating them to new formats.

A typical subfolder has 25 files, named according to this format:
[filename].[two digit file extension signifying year of data collection],
for example GCANPR.93.  All files are purportedly WordPerfect, but with
this file extension, they are actually display font files generated using
WordPerfect.  You see, the documentation identifies these files as WP
files, but when I open each file in LibreOffice or Notepad it says it was
"saved as ASCII/DOS text"- not sure if this makes any difference to my
efforts to convert.

Anyway, I ran these two little commands on my Windows 10 machine,
For /R %G in (*.93) do REN "%G" "93%~nG.93" = this renames the file so that
it retains the year 1993 in the file name (I haven't figured out how to do
this as a batch for multiple years, so I have to change the year XX a few
times). Then I run this command on all renamed files to generate text files,
For /R %f IN (*.*) do REN "%f" *.txt .

This seemed to work smoothly until I found a single file that was all
wingdings (but seemingly no different from the others - I checked the
original, it was all text not spreadsheet), and I found a couple files
where some text was lost in conversion.

Any thoughts?  I am sure my commands are rudimentary, don't judge me, I'm
new to this stuff.  I guess I'm wondering if the problem is in my choice of
CL utilities (is my use of REN the wrong thing), syntax, or if it is the
vagaries of these files that is screwing things up?

THANKS!  Feel free to contact me off list.

Amy C. Schuler (she/her)
Director, Information Services & Library

Cary Institute of Ecosystem Studies | 2801 Sharon Turnpike | Millbrook, NY
www.caryinstitute.org