 REGISTER NOW FOR ASIS&T WEBINAR:
"Computer-Assisted Analyses of Digitized Fine Art: Cézanne and His Sources"
*Sponsored by ASIS&T & SIG-VIS*
Dr. Melinda Weinstein
May 27, 11:00 AM EDT-12:00 PM EDT
Registration is free for ASIS&T members, and a modest fee ($25) for
non-members.

Quantitative analysis using dendrography is a new methodology being
utilized in art history to study relationships between digitized fine art
paintings. Using dendrography, we can now challenge conventional narratives
concerning the origin and development of an artist's style. We can test
hypotheses regarding potential relationships between paintings and sources.
We can find internal similarities and consistencies between groups of
paintings heretofore not considered. The challenge with this kind of
analysis is that results may vary dependent on the parameter being
measured. Also, the quality of the digital images being measured can affect
the results. In this webinar, Dr. Melinda Weinstein, Research Fellow at the
W.M. Keck Dynamic Image Analysis Facility at the University of Iowa,
discusses her application of dendrography to the study of the digitized oil
paintings of Paul Cézanne. For a preview of her work see "Dendrography and
Art History: A Computer-Assisted Analysis of Cézanne's Bathers."
<http://www.digitalhumanities.org/dhq/vol/13/3/000423/000423.html>

Participants will learn how to integrate computer-assisted methods into
formal art analysis; how to responsibly source images from the web for
computer-assisted analysis; the importance of the central axis, and phi, as
determined by the rectangular shape of the canvas, to the composition of
Cezanne's paintings, regardless of genre; and how Cézanne absorbed and
recapitulated the color combinations of Delacroix, Gérard and David in
select works.
Presenter

Dr. Melinda Weinstein is a Research Fellow at the W.M. Keck Dynamic Image
Analysis Facility at the University of Iowa. Her work on Cézanne bridges
the philosophy of mathematics, computer science, and fine art.
Register Now
<https://associationforinformationscienceandtechnologyasist.growthzoneapp.com/ap/Events/Register/vrADOQNL>