In this case the resolution is a red herring (except that even if you have a big screen, if the resolution is too low then things will look blurry and/or pixelated).

Probably what's going wrong in the videos you've watched is they're recorded on a large screen, so they're only readable on a large screen. If you want them to be readable on a small screen, then the easiest thing to do is record them on a small screen. If you can't do that directly, you could either resize the window you're recording (and make sure the font is legible within it), or resize the font within the window (so that it's larger than necessary for you, but will be legible when the video is effectively shrunk).

Deborah

-----Original Message-----
From: Code for Libraries <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of charles meyer
Sent: Sunday, 27 June 2021 4:49 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [CODE4LIB] YouTube tutorials - words on screen tiny

Hi my esteemed listmates,

I’ve watched a plethora of YT instructional videos where seeing the words on screen are critical to learning new software but the words appear tiny on screen.

Enlarging the screen makes the screen larger (e.g. Ctrl +) but doesn’t enlarge the words in the video.

No matter what resolution the creators assert they saved/uploaded their video in – 1080p, etc. the words still appear tiny to me and others not using a 24 inch or larger screen.

Would you please share the link to any YT video you’ve watched (or even better created!) where the words on a 15 inch laptop screen appear easily readable?

I’d like to create my own YT tutorials and I’m trying to ascertain what others aren’t doing as well as what I should be doing to ensure users can watch on their 15 inch laptop screen and learn.

Thank you!

Best,

Charles.

"The contents of this e-mail (including any attachments) may be confidential and/or subject to copyright. Any unauthorised use, distribution, or copying of the contents is expressly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please advise the sender by return e-mail or telephone and then delete this e-mail together with all attachments from your system."