The ACRL Digital Scholarship Section Professional Development Committee is pleased to present its summer event:

Title: Documenting Diversity in Appalachia: Appalachian State University Libraries' Digital Initiatives and Community Collaborations

Date: Thursday, July 22, 2021, 01:00 PM Central Time (US and Canada)

Abstract

Appalachian State University Libraries holds the premiere collection of Appalachian regional materials documenting the history and culture of Appalachia. As the university and library have a commitment to diversity, we have acquired many rich and unique archival collections documenting diverse populations in Appalachia. Contrary to popular stereotypes, the Appalachian mountain region comprises more than its much researched Scotch Irish descendants. The region is home to many individuals from diverse cultural backgrounds.

Our Digital Scholarship and Initiatives unit works with the library's special collections team to digitize, preserve, and make available their materials. We also provide research assistance to campus in the form of digitization, digital project consultation, digital preservation, and copyright and publishing support. Furthermore, we collaborate with multiple community groups to create and make publicly available digital collections that reflect our regional diversity. Two examples are the Lincoln Heights and Dula Town projects where we held digitization events to capture images documenting Black communities in Appalachia. Another is the Appalachian Consortium Press project where we digitized over 60 out of print publications of the seminal research on Appalachia.

In our presentation, we will talk about our service model and working with faculty and community partners. We will also discuss how we determine the projects we accept, highlight specific projects, and outline challenges and benefits of working with our partners. The presentation will outline how we cultivate and sustain relationships with the Appalachian Studies community and our approach to promotion and outreach to our researchers.

Registration is free but required: https://ala-events.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_GdWCp-ZTRQuYE4FI6_Gd0A

Presenters

Pamela Price Mitchem, Professor and Coordinator of Digital Scholarship and Initiatives
Appalachian State University Libraries

Dea Miller Rice, Digital Projects Librarian
Appalachian State University Libraries

Agnes B. Gambill, Assistant Professor and Head of Scholarly Communications
Appalachian State University Libraries

Taylor Davis-Van Atta
Director, Digital Research Commons<https://drc.lib.uh.edu/>
Founding publisher, Music & Literature: a humanities journal<http://musicandliterature.org>