The University of Minnesota Libraries seeks a Web Applications Developer 3 to join our team of web and application developers. The person in this position would be responsible for leading development on our portfolio of Ruby on Rails apps, such as umedia.lib.umn.edu, ojibwe.lib.umn.edu, geo.btaa.org, and umbrasearch.org. This person will be our expert on Ruby on Rails application development, and will set standards and best practices for development, testing, documentation, and deployment of these apps.

In addition, as part of the larger team of web application developers, this person may be asked to contribute to development on www.lib.umn.edu, hsl.lib.umn.edu, mappingprejudice.umn.edu, experts.umn.edu, conservancy.umn.edu and others.

This person will work with stakeholders to develop specifications and deliver application functionality to meet those specifications. This person will also work with developer colleagues to create accessible, usable, and performant front-ends that prioritize documented user needs.

The Libraries has a culture that values collaboration and respects subject matter expertise. Our Minneapolis-based application and web development team has historically worked on-site in Wilson Library on the West Bank of the University’s Twin Cities campus, but have been successfully working remotely since early March, 2020. We anticipate returning to a hybrid on-site/remote arrangement this fall, but will consider fully remote candidates residing in Minnesota, Wisconsin, or North Dakota. We collaborate using Slack, GitHub, and Zoom.

We build our sites and apps using open-source technologies, and regularly release our work under open-source licenses. Some examples of our work are available here:

https://github.com/UMNLibraries
https://github.com/BTAA-Geospatial-Data-Project

The sites and applications we develop at the Libraries serve our diverse user base best when the development team reflects that same diversity. Candidates with backgrounds and identities that are underrepresented in software development are particularly encouraged to apply.

Required qualifications:

Bachelor’s degree and four years of relevant experience, or master's degree and two years of experience.
Demonstrated expertise in development of modern Ruby on Rails web applications.
Demonstrated experience deploying Ruby on Rails applications to production Linux environments or public cloud hosting.
Demonstrated test/behavior-driven development experience.
Demonstrated experience developing web applications that meet current accessibility standards.
Experience using the command line in a Linux or Unix-like environment.
Experience working both independently and in cooperation with a diverse group of colleagues in a collaborative environment.

Preferred qualifications:

Demonstrated experience specifying cloud hosting for Rails applications.
Demonstrated experience with Lucene-based search engines (e.g.Solr or ElasticSearch).
Experience using or authoring Rails Engines used in a production environment.
Experience upgrading Rails applications across major Rails versions.
Experience with asynchronous job queues.
Experience with geographic data sets.
Experience working in a library, museum, cultural heritage, or higher education environment.

This is a full-time, 12-month, annual renewable, academic professional position.  The salary range for this position is $80,000 - 90,000.  The Libraries offer a competitive salary commensurate with experience.  Excellent benefits.

For further information including how to apply, visit https://hr.myu.umn.edu/jobs/ext/343508

Diversity

The University recognizes and values the importance of diversity and inclusion in enriching the employment experience of its employees and in supporting the academic mission.  The University is committed to attracting and retaining employees with varying identities and backgrounds.

The University of Minnesota provides equal access to and opportunity in its programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, disability, public assistance status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.  To learn more about diversity at the U:  http://diversity.umn.edu.

----
Brought to you by code4lib jobs: https://jobs.code4lib.org/jobs/49785-web-applications-developer-3