All are welcome to attend!

From: Colloquium-outside-is <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Karen Levy via

Please join us for the Tech/Law Colloquium, Friday, September 10 at 1:30 pm ET.

You are welcome to attend via Zoom at: https://cornell.zoom.us/j/91621862931?pwd=eDNtSmN1RCtLUDhjV2JpRm5OSGFrZz09 [Meeting ID: 916 2186 2931 ; Password: techlaw]

Our speaker will be:

Sarah Lamdan<https://www.sarahlamdan.com/>

CUNY School of Law

"Westlaw, Lexis, Elsevier, and SSRN Belong to Data Brokers. What Does That Mean for Professional Responsibility and Ethics?"

Most of our gold-standard research platforms and services belong to just a few data analytics companies. These companies don't just sell research products to libraries and lawyers, they also sell personal data to local, state, and federal law enforcement, Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), and other entities that make big decisions about our civil rights. In this seminar, we'll see how companies like RELX and Thomson Reuters (and now, ProQuest) have transitioned from being publishers to being companies that collect and sell personal data products. We'll also talk about the professional responsibility and ethics issues that arise when lawyers and librarians use research products that are owned by companies that also sell personal information to law enforcement, landlords, healthcare providers, grant-funders -- organizations and individuals that have a lot of power over our lives.

Questions? Please contact Karen Levy ([log in to unmask]).