Hi all,

Here’s another resource related to DNA storage. In April, I participated in a JPEG workshop on DNA storage, and presented on the requirements for DNA to be used for digital preservation storage. My presentation begins at around 10:45 in the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCdvtR5GyXo

Best,
Linda

From: The NDSA infrastructure working group list <[log in to unmask]> On Behalf Of Eric Lopatin
Sent: Friday, September 10, 2021 12:28 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [NDSA-INFRASTRUCTURE] REMINDER: September NDSA Infrastructure IG Call: 9/20 (plus a note on October)

Hi Everyone,

Just a reminder for our upcoming NDSA Infrastructure Interest Group call on Monday, September 20, at 3pm ET on Zoom.

September:
For the September meeting we will have an open agenda. Please bring with you an infrastructure-related problem or challenge that you’re currently facing at your institution (technical or non-technical in nature, any scale). Our goal will be to focus conversation on several of these and share related experiences that may help shepherd a given challenge toward a solution.

October:
Leah and I would like to try a new meeting format in October. One of the topics our group has expressed interest in is next generation storage. The following half-hour video and brief paper provide an engaging introduction to use of DNA storage for digital preservation:

  *   Leproust, Emily. "DNA Storage for Digital Preservation,"<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ0DAnjU55A> Stanford Research Talk, 2021.
  *   Li, Bingzhe, Nae Young Song, Li Ou, and David H.C. Du. "Can We Store the Whole World's Data in DNA Storage?"<https://www.usenix.org/system/files/hotstorage20_paper_li_0.pdf>, HotStorage 2020.
Ahead of October 18th, let’s take some time to review these resources and plan to have a conversation around them.
Many thanks go out to Tricia Patterson and Stephen Abrams at Harvard Library for these selections, as they stem from their Digital Preservation Reading Club.

Call-in info:

  *   The NDSA Infrastructure Interest Group meets the third Monday of each month at 12pm PT / 3pm ET.
  *   This Google Doc contains agendas and notes from meetings held in 2021 and can be bookmarked with this link http://bit.ly/35CD3LM.
  *   Meeting recordings are available on YouTube: https://bit.ly/2QRIMmO.
  *   Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android:
     *   Meeting ID: 745 482 656
     *   password: DLFzoom
     *   US: +1-646-876-9923 or +1-669-900-6833 or +1-408-740-3766
     *   Find your local number: https://clirdlf.zoom.us/u/adTIubhwZu
     *   International numbers available: https://zoom.us/u/cPpLHpqKX

All best,
Eric

–
Eric Lopatin | Product Manager, Digital Preservation
California Digital Library | University of California Curation Center (UC3)