On Oct 18, 2021, at 11:20 AM, McDonald, Stephen <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>> Using Dublin Core, is there a way to express size measured in words?
>
> I believe that the value would be "100 MB" rather than "100".  The units are part of the value in extent; it has no meaning without the units.  <dcterms:extent> is equivalent to the 300$a in MARC--a text string specifying the extent, including units.
>
> --
> Steve McDonald

Okay, thank you, then I might write:

 <dc:format>
   <dcterms:extent>
     <rdf:value>100 MB</rdf:value>
     <rdfs:label>100 MB (compressed)</rdfs:label>
   </dcterms:extent>
 </dc:format>

But if I use such an expression, then a computer must parse "100 MB" to denote the units, but computers are stupid and people are inconsistent. This leads to issues because the following are equivalent:

  * 100 MB
  * 100     MB
  * 100 megabytes
  * 100 mega-bytes
  * 100000000 bytes
  * 100,000,000 bytes

Is there a more explicit, less ambiguous way to denote units?

--
Eric Morgan