On Oct 18, 2021, at 2:50 PM, McDonald, Stephen <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>> Using Dublin Core, is there a way to express size measured in words?
>
> Only if you create your own guidelines for your own data.  As I said, it's just like MARC 300$a: "300 p.", "300 pages", "300    pages", "three hundred pages", and "1 volume (300 pages)" are all equivalent in MARC.  Extent was not designed for computer parsing.
>
> The DCMI documentation for extent says, "Recommended practice is to specify the file size in megabytes and duration in ISO 8601 format", but doesn't give any guidance for string encoding scheme for those dimensions, nor any guidance at all for other dimensions.  It's possible that someone has written suggested guidelines for certain purposes.

Thank you for the prompt reply, and yep. Consequently, I might ultimately go with something like below where I add a namespace and I add an attribute to extent. The following validates against an RDF validator:

  <?xml version="1.0"?>
  <rdf:RDF
    xmlns:dcterms="http://purl.org/dc/terms/"
    xmlns:reader="https://distantreader.org/">

    <rdf:Description rdf:about="http://library.distantreader.org/carrels/homer/">

      <dc:identifier>homer</dc:identifier>

       <dc:format>
        <dcterms:extent reader:units="megabytes">
          <rdf:value>100</rdf:value>
          <rdfs:label>100 MB (compressed)</rdfs:label>
        </dcterms:extent>
       </dc:format>

       <dc:format>
        <dcterms:extent reader:units="words">
          <rdf:value>20000000</rdf:value>
          <rdfs:label>20,000,000 words</rdfs:label>
        </dcterms:extent>
      </dc:format>

       <dc:format>
        <dcterms:extent reader:units="items">
          <rdf:value>50</rdf:value>
          <rdfs:label>50 textual items</rdfs:label>
        </dcterms:extent>
      </dc:format>

    </rdf:Description>

  </rdf:RDF>

This way arithmetic can be applied against extent values.

RDF Validator: https://www.w3.org/RDF/Validator/

--
Eric Morgan