In celebration of International Open Access Week, please join us for the
Fifth Biennial Open Access Conference at San José State University. This
will be a free, online conference, and will take place from 9AM - 2PM PDT
on Friday, October 29, 2021.

Register here:
<https://sjsu.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZMrcuqgpzojHtFryYSmVIDpEiUKjI9a1pLj>
https://sjsu.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZMrcuqgpzojHtFryYSmVIDpEiUKjI9a1pLj

Conference website: <https://scholarworks.sjsu.edu/oa-un-conference/>
https://scholarworks.sjsu.edu/oa-un-conference/

Conference Description

Efforts to open access to knowledge, research, and scholarship are often
focused on building new structures: new systems for distributing and
archiving scholarship and data, new reward structures for researchers, new
cultures of research that favor openness. But simply opening access does
not ensure a more equitable knowledge environment. Without intervention,
new and open structures can reproduce existing structural inequalities.

The recently released UNESCO Recommendation on Open Science
<https://en.unesco.org/science-sustainable-future/open-science/recommendation>,
which inspired the theme for this year’s International Open Access Week
<http://www.openaccessweek.org/profiles/blogs/2021-theme-announcement-english>
and for this conference, proposes a framework for equitable, open
structures for science on the national and international level. Libraries
and library workers often work at a much more local level, but in many ways
we are implicated in the same structural concerns. These concerns manifest
in the systems we build and in the systems, structures, institutions, and
corporations that form the context for our work. Because “it matters how”
we do our work, this conference will focus on ways that the structures of
“open” promote or inhibit a diverse, inclusive, and equitable scholarly
communication environment.

Conference Schedule (all times PDT)

October 29, 2021

9:00 - 9:15 Welcome

9:15 - 10:15  Keynote Address: Charlotte Roh, California State University,
San Marcos

10:15 - 10:30 Break

10:30 - 12:30

   -

   We’re Going Live When?! Implementing Digital Commons at Texas A&M
   University-Commerce
   -

      Sarah H. Northam, Amy San Antonio, Adam Northam, Josephine Rickman,
      and Ashlie Hight, Texas A&M University - Commerce
      -

   Hosting Open Access Journals on BYU's Institutional Repository
   -

      Ellen Amatangelo, Brigham Young University
      -

   Building Bridges Between Experts and Communities with Subscribe to Open
   -

      Andrea Lopez, Annual Reviews
      -

   Building a Directory of Fully Open Access Journals with Diversity,
   Inclusion, and Equity in mind
   -

      John G. Dove, DoAJ
      -

      Cara Forster, University of Maryland Libraries

12:30 - 1:10 - Lightning talks

   -

   Making Open Access Book Funding Work Fairly: The Emergence of Library
   Membership Funding Models for OA Monographs
   -

      Martin Paul Eve, Birkbeck University
      -

   An Update on Support for an Open-Access Journal at a Mission-Driven
   University Press
   -

      Kim Steinle, Duke University Press
      -

   Open Access and Information Literacy: The Role of Librarians
   -

      Dumebi Otulugbu and Marvelous-Mary Ogunobo, University of Ibadan

1:10 - 2:00

   -

   LibGuides Open Review Discussion Sessions
   -

      jaime ding, California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo

--
Nick Szydlowski
Scholarly Communications & Digital Scholarship Librarian