Hello, everyone!

In case you were not already aware, the free, online WikidataCon is coming up soon. I'm going to be participating in a session about bibliographic data modeling, which you might find interesting if you enjoyed my dime novel talk at Code4lib a few years ago. See below for all of the details.

(Please be warned that we're in that tricky week where some places have changed from Daylight to Standard time and others have not... so please check your local calendar carefully to be sure you don't miss anything, should you decide to sign up).

I hope to see some of you there this weekend!

- Demian

Pre-ISBN/ISSN bibliographic data<https://pretalx.com/wdcon21/talk/REE3AW/>
2021-10-31, 14:30-15:25 (UTC) online
#WikidataCon
free registration<https://pretix.eu/WDCon21/WDCon21/> | programme<https://pretalx.com/wdcon21/talk/REE3AW/>

***
Three digital humanist bibliographers will lead a workshop at WikidataCon this Sunday, 31 October from 14:30 to 15:25 UTC (switching to Normal Time in some areas but not others, so check the time where you are here<https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=Pre-ISBN%2FISSN+bibliographic+data&iso=20211031T1430&p1=136&am=55>!).

Come to discuss your own weird edge cases or just to observe and build new ties within the open data field!

Sign up for free at https://pretix.eu/WDCon21/WDCon21/
No Wikidata experience required

Looking forward to meeting you there, or in further discussions about bibliographic data modelling!

Pre-ISBN/ISSN bibliographic data<https://pretalx.com/wdcon21/talk/REE3AW/>
2021-10-31, 14:30-15:25 (UTC), Room 3
In this workshop, we will discuss edge cases in historical bibliographic data and document ways of making them fit the Wikidata data models for books and periodicals. We're bringing together people from a variety of backgrounds, some that will be more familiar with the data we're talking about, some that will be more familiar with the technical side, some who might just be observing. We're hoping to spark a conversation that will keep going.

This workshop, led by three digital humanist bibliographers, will strengthen bridges between the Wikidata community and bibliographic scholarship and stewardship. Working in three groups, participants will familiarize themselves with the WikiProject Books and WikiProject Periodicals data models, discuss edge cases that can come from their own data, document these use cases for the data models, and post documentation.

The three groups will be talking about translations, series of works, and works serialized in installments. We will then come back all together to explain the various Wikidata communication channels, discuss how we want to keep the conversation going, and announce relevant upcoming events related to our personal projects.
Simon Cobb
Demian Katz
Marie Léger-St-Jean