Over the past two years, Dan Noonan, former intern Matt McShane and the Digital Preservation and Access (DP&A) Workgroup conducted a review and update of University Libraries’ 2013 Digital Preservation Policy Framework and created the newly adopted Digital Preservation Ethos Framework. University Libraries’ mission, vision and values have evolved since 2013, and it was time for a refresh.

Digital preservation is not a state that is achieved; rather, it is an ongoing set of activities providing continued access to digital objects beyond the limits of media failure or technological change. This work is highly collaborative across University Libraries. Therefore, it is more appropriate to consider the framework for this collective work as an ethos: the characteristic spirit of a people, community, culture or organization as manifested in its attitudes and aspirations. This is not a policy, a “how to” document or set of rules to follow. Instead, it is a statement of purpose and commitment to the ongoing work of preserving our digital cultural heritage.

In creating this document, DP&A benchmarked the 2013 framework with our peers in the Big Ten Academic Alliance and reviewed other related documentation. The result is a document that has been simplified, dejargonized and rearranged to flow in a more engaging manner. It describes our commitment to digital preservation and lays out its connection to our mission, values and strategic directions. It identifies high-level requisites for digital preservation and articulates the objectives, scope, principles and standards, responsibilities, implementation aspirations and our commitment to collaboration and cooperation for digital preservation.

We thank Dan, Matt McShane and DP&A who have crafted this statement of values and commitment vis-à-vis our digital preservation work. Please review the Digital Preservation Ethos Framework.

Signed,
Karla Strieb and Jennifer Vinopal

View article...