Colleagues, we are working to form a strategy that can ensure that our digital collections are accessible. We have an online application to discover our distinctive special collections, including digitized derivitives. They are viewable with the open source software UniversalViewer. The accessibility statement <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://github.com/UniversalViewer/universalviewer/wiki/Accessibility-Statement-for-the-Universal-Viewer__;!!KGKeukY!kLdvD3U2uTrLMMpcPJxFW2tWwRAZcetqOpDgGfUAfR-dDjYciGiw0n97OMjhNjyCFA$ <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/github.com/UniversalViewer/universalviewer/wiki/Accessibility-Statement-for-the-Universal-Viewer__;!!KGKeukY!kLdvD3U2uTrLMMpcPJxFW2tWwRAZcetqOpDgGfUAfR-dDjYciGiw0n97OMjhNjyCFA$%20> > for this includes the statement "Cultural heritage images of text do not have alternative text, or transcription. These are exempt under the legislation."

I have spoken to others more experienced in the realm of digital accessibility and special collections, and they are unaware of what legislation would exempt certain images from being accessible. Does anyone know what this refers to?

Thank you very much,

Michelle Henley
Discovery Services and Digital User Experience Manager
Libraries, Information Technology Digital Initiatives
320 18th Avenue Library, 175 W 18th Avenue, Columbus, OH 43210
614-688-3512 Office / 614-292-3062 Fax