I would definitely suggest OBS as a solution: it's open source and free,
updated often, the file can be exported into many popular and open source
formats for both internet and archival purposes, and the more you use it,
the more tools you see it has.

Andrew DeNicola
Adult Services Librarian & Outreach Coordinator.
Culpeper County Library