The Digital Preservation Coalition is delighted to have presented Martin Weise of TU Wien with the iPres 2021 Award for Best Newcomer!

In an online presentation, William Kilbride and Sharon McMeekin of the DPC were joined by iPres 2021 host Zhexin Wu to make the award which could not take place in person, owing to the hybrid nature of the conference in October.

As sponsor of the award for the second year running, the DPC’s Sharon McMeekin explained why Martin’s work had been selected for the award:

“The DPC is particularly proud to support this award as we recognize the importance of both people and innovation to the discipline of digital preservation. Innovation happens and disciplines flourish when diverse voices are encouraged and heard and if iPres is to continue to be a place where people grow, and innovative ideas are shared, then encouraging contributions from new attendees is essential.”

Sharon continued: “This year we are pleased to present the award to an individual who truly excelled in their contributions to their first iPres, through collaboration on a paper and a poster. While on first look both might seem to have a technological focus, they are to be commended for also foregrounding the essential issue of access.”

Martin was presented with the Best Newcomer Award for his poster A data-visiting infrastructure for providing access to preserved databases that cannot be shared or made publicly accessible and the paper FDA-DBRepo: A Data Preservation Repository Supporting FAIR Principles, Data Versioning and Reproducible Queries, and will receive support to attend an iPRES conference of his choosing in the next three years as his prize.

“Both the poster and paper focus on database preservation which frequently happens postfactum,” Martin explained. “In the poster we present a proposal for a database repository infrastructure, where databases are created, used and preserved directly in the data curation environment and this is complemented by the paper on OSSDIP; the reference implementation of a high-security data visiting infrastructure initially conceived as a safe-compute environment for medical data.

I'm really honoured to receive this award. It was my first time ever at iPres and already my work has been very successful. I'm looking forward to what's to come.”

Watch the presentation of the Best Newcomer Award now

*Apologies for cross posting*

Sarah Middleton

Head of Communications and Advocacy

Digital Preservation Coalition

37 Tanner Row, York, YO1 6WP

http://www.dpconline.org/

Email: [log in to unmask]

Twitter: @Sarah_DPC

My email hours are Mon – Fri // 08:30 – 14:30 (UK)

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be privileged. If you have received this message in error, please notify us and remove it from your system. The contents of this e-mail must not be disclosed or copied without the sender's consent and does not constitute legal advice.  We cannot accept any responsibility for viruses, so please scan all attachments. The statements and opinions expressed in this message are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of the DPC.

The Digital Preservation Coalition is a registered company (4492292) and charity (SC051077)

-- DPC is proud to host iPres 2022, the International Conference on Digital Preservation, Glasgow 12th-16th September 2022 https://ipres2022.scot/